Summer Survival Guide to Session Beer
Whether you’re hitting the beach or chillin’ in your backyard, the answer to lounging with longevity is session beer.
The 4th of July will be a long day in the sun, and nobody wants to miss the fireworks show. Make it to the end of the night with our huge selection of session beer from America’s best craft brewers.
Session beer contains a lower alcohol content than your average craft brew (5% ABV or less). The main purpose of session beer is to be refreshing and drinkable, making it suitable for consuming over an extended period of time.
Session beer is not defined by any particular style, flavor profile or aroma. Any beer can be modified into a lower alcohol version, and the best session brews are practically indistinguishable from regular beer.
Some craft aficionados scoff at the idea of session beer, but it’s actually very practical and just as fulfilling. As the stigma continues to wane, more brewers are jumping on board. Traditionally, most session beer has been light bodied (featuring renditions of blonde ales, lagers and pilsners), but there are now a wide variety of Session IPAs available. Known for being strong and hoppy, this popular yet potent style is now more accessible than ever.
Enjoy all the character and flavor of your favorite craft beer without the high alcohol content. Let’s brew this!
1. Ballast Point Even Keel Session IPA – This smooth sailing, full-flavored craft brew features a silky malt backbone and a bright hop profile of herbs and citrus, packing in all the taste you’d expect from an IPA. Pairs well with barbeque and fish & chips. Feeling fruity? Check out Ballast Point Mango Even Keel.
ABV: 3.8%, IBU: 51
2. Firestone Easy Jack IPA – This worldly IPA is brewed and dry hopped with a globetrotting selection of new hop varieties from Europe, New Zealand and North America. Enjoy massive hoppy aromas with Firestone’s signature malt balance. Pairs well with grilled chicken, curry and pizza.
ABV: 4.5%, IBU: 45
3. 21st Amendment Down To Earth – More relaxed than your standard IPA, but with all the hop aroma and flavor, Down to Earth tastes like pure paradise. The assertive fragrances of orange and melon mellow into dry, crisp flavors. Pairs well with hot dogs, burgers and nachos.
ABV: 4.4%, IBU: 42
4. Golden Road Wolf Pup Session IPA – Hoppy and refreshing, this highly drinkable and wildly aromatic brew is teeming with tropical and citrus character. The light body and bitterness harmonize for a nice balance of sweet flavors and a dry finish. Pairs well with avocado fries, fresh tomatoes and watermelon salad.
ABV: 4.5%, IBU: 45
5. Founders All Day IPA – Brewed in Detroit with a complex array of malts, grains and hops, this delicious craft beer is balanced for optimal aromatics and a clean finish. The hop flavors begin slightly piney and evolve into sweet hints of tangerine and grapefruit. Pairs well with shrimp skewers, spicy salsa and tacos.
ABV: 4.7%, IBU: 42