Red, White, & Blue Sangria
July 4th is a raucous all-day affair, and in order to host a memorable celebration, you need to do more than simply light up the grill and churn out a few burgers. With just a few fresh ingredients and some acclaimed liquor you can crank the party up a notch with a colorful and holiday-appropriate Red, White, & Blue Sangria. Sangria is experiencing a surge in popularity, and it’s no mystery why: the thirst-quenching flavors of sangria are an obvious antidote to the sweltering summer days of July.
- 1) 1 bottle white wine
- (Note that you will be incorporating several fruits, so you should rely on a dryer, subtler wine like a Pinot Grigio)
- 2) 1 ½ cups sparkling lemonade
- 3) ½ cup vodka
- Go with a classic like Grey Goose to please the crowd, or venture for the spicy Hangar One Straight Vodka distilled from Viognier grapes and Midwestern grains.
- 4) 2 large granny smith apples
- 5) 1 pint raspberries
- 6) 1 pint blueberries
- 7) 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1) The morning of your festivities (likely July 4th) wash your Granny Smith apples and slice them fairly thin.
- 2) Use your star-shaped cookie cutter to create patriotic star-shaped apple pieces. Plan your cuts so you yield as many stars as possible from each slice.
- 3) The rest of the process is simple. In a large pitcher add the white wine, sparkling lemonade, and vodka of your choice.
- 4) Wash the remaining berries and add the apple slices, blueberries, raspberries, and sliced strawberries.
- 5) Feel free to stir in order to mix the berries, but do not shake once the vodka is in the pitcher.
- 6) Refrigerate for up to four hours before serving, and prepare for your all-American beverage to be a smash hit.