The Art of American Craft Beer
Craft beer is bigger than ever, and with new breweries opening every week, it's important to know the differences between craft brews and your standard suds.
It's no secret that craft beer is a rising star in the alcohol industry. The total number of barrels produced last year more than doubled what was brewed in 2011. America's love affair with craft beer is still in the honeymoon phase, so you might be wondering what the buzz is all about.
1. Learn The ABCs--According to Sam Adams, an early pioneer of American craft brewing, these are the ABCs of quality craft beer:
A) A lot of flavor--Never bland, weak or watered down
B) Balanced--One flavor should never dominate or be too extreme
C) Complexity--Full of character and depth, not one dimensional
2. Small Talk--The Brewers Association just released a new seal to certify independent craft brewers, which will soon appear on packaging. An American craft brewer is defined as small and independent, yielding an annual production under 6 million barrels of beer (although most produce far less).
3. Brand New Brews--Craft beer is produced with 100% barley, wheat malt or other fermentable ingredients that enhance (rather than lighten) flavor. Incorporating both traditional resources & innovative components, craft brewers re-interpret historic beer styles with unique twists. As a result, there are now more than 150 beer styles.
4. Labor Of Love--The craft beer movement is largely an American phenomenon that began some 30 years ago. The U.S. is moving away from industrial, mass-produced fizzy yellow beer, evolving into a breeding ground for countless small-batch varieties. Over 5,300 breweries now operate in America, nearly twice the amount that existed in 2013.
5. Think & Drink Locally--More than 78% of adults live within 10 miles of a brewery. Support your local craft brewers by visiting their taprooms and buying their products. Use this guide to find a craft brewery near you.
- 10 Ways To Celebrate Mother's Day
- Best Blends Forever
- Be Your Own Wine Critic — Rate Your Favorite 5¢ Wine
- Every Rosé Has Its Day
- How To Win At 5¢ Wine
- Introducing BevMo! Private Collection
- New To The 5¢ Family
- Our Favorite 5¢ Wines For Entertaining
- The Best Bottles To Bring The Host
- The Rise of Bourbon Barrel-Aged Wine
- 10 Sparkling Wines for Summertime
- The Toast Of The 5¢ Town
- The Widow & The Wine
- Trending Now: Canned Wine
- Valentine’s Day Wines
- A Toast To Irish Traditions
- Bloody Mary Brunch
- Brunch Cocktails
- Cinco de Mayo Culinary Delights
- Cognac In Mixology
- Creamy & Dreamy
- Fall Comfort Cocktails
- Harvest Mocktails
- Host A Cocktail Station
- Impress Your Guests
- Liqueur World Tour
- Perfectly Paired Cocktails
- Pumpkin Cocktails
- Red, White & Booze
- Spiked Seltzer
- Tequila from A-Z
- Find Your Favorite Whiskey Flavor
- Whiskey 101
- Fall Comfort Cocktails
- Top 5 Harvest Mocktails
Beer & Cider
- A Tipsy Treat
- Cold Beer For Spring Fever
- Cool Canned Beer for the Pool
- Cheers To Mexican Beer—¡Viva Cerveza!
- Great Beer Minus The Gluten
- Inside The World of Cider
- Seasonal Brews You'll Fall For
- The Art of American Craft Beer
- The Ins & Outs Of Stouts
- What Makes A Winter Brew?
- How To Home Brew Your Favorite Beer
- Summer Survival Guide to Session Beer
- Fall Seasonal Brews
- Pumpkin Cocktail
- The Spiked Seltzer Craze